Why Candy and Chocolate are Dangerous for Pets

Why Candy and Chocolate are Dangerous for Pets

pet-examYou have probably heard in the past not to give your pet candy or chocolate, but many people are completely unaware of why candy and chocolate are dangerous for pets. There are a number of reasons you should keep these things away from your pets.

Theobromine

Chocolate contains theobromine. This is a chemical that can build up to toxic levels. While it can be toxic in humans as well, it takes much less of the chemical to cause health problems in pets, particularly small dogs. The human body can process theobromine much faster than a small pet can. This means that the chemical builds up in the pet and can cause diarrhea, vomiting, or sometimes even seizures and death.

Xylitol

Many candies, gums, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. This is another chemical that can be harmful to your pet. In pets, this chemical can cause their blood sugar level to drop and even cause liver failure. You will notice your pet vomiting, having diarrhea, or being lethargic.

What to Do

If your pet has ingested candy or chocolate, it is important to get them to the vet right away. While not every type of candy and chocolate contains these chemicals, a vet will know best if what your pet ingested is dangerous to them. The vet will also be able to examine your pet to make sure they are not having any adverse symptoms. If your pet is in distress, the vet can work to counteract the effects of the chemicals and watch your dog closely for signs that the illness is serious.

We are experienced vets, and can assist you in this or any other ailment your pet may have. Contact us today for an appointment.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.